Home Page: GRASSROOTS GAZETTE
The “LETTER WRITING” Group
meets every Wednesday in Nov. and Dec.
LAST MINUTE ALERT:
Tonight is fun Souper Science event in Mt. Horeb
TONIGHT: Friday, Nov. 17 , 6 p.m. (Mt. Horeb) S0UPER SCIENCE EVENT Join others who want to know how to talk with skeptics about climate change.. Get answers to the following questions:
• What is the greenhouse effect?
• How do you explain the basic science behind it?
• What is most important for people to know about global warming and climate change?
• Do scientists really agree that global warming and climate change are happening? What's the evidence?
Also enjoy some SUPER SOUP made from local veggies. This is a fun, interactive event. LOCATION: Mount Horeb Community Center, 107 N. Grove For more info and to RSVP for Souper Science Friday please see mounthorebccl.info
BECOME AN ENGLISH-LANGUAGE VOLUNTEER TUTOR You can help counteract today’s ugly rhetoric about immigration by becoming an English as a Second Language (ESL) volunteer tutor in Iowa, Lafayette, Grant or Richland Counties. You do not need a foreign language to become an ESL tutor. Tutor training will teach you to overcome a language barrier while you are making new friends. Our local Southwest Wisconsin economy depends on new immigrant workers. They enrich our communities with cultural diversity. Contact Luz Nereida Burkard of the MultiCultural Oureach Program at 608-642-1753 for more information about the next tutor training sessions. Check out our website at www.mcopwi.org for other ways you can help.
LETTER WRITERS TO MEET EVERY WEDNESDAY at 9:30 a.m. in Nov. and Dec. Join this dedicated group of letter writers who take their task seriously – keeping state and national legislators informed about their opinions. The group will meet every Wednesday in November and December at the following locations.
• Wed., Nov. 22 , Cobblestone Coffee House, 329 N. Iowa Street, Dodgeville
• Wed., Nov. 29, Gray Dog Deli, 215 High Street, Mineral Point
• Wed., Dec. 6, Cook’s Room, 138 N. Iowa Street, Dodgeville
• Wed., Dec. 13 at Café 43, 43 High Street, Mineral Point
• Wed., Dec. 20 at the Cobblestone, 329 N. Iowa St., Dodgeville
• Wed., Dec. 27 at Gray Dog Deli, 215 High Street, Mineral Point
For more info, contact Laura Cisler, Action Iowa County at [email protected] or Kathie Swanson at [email protected]
OUR GRASSROOTS CITIZENS SUSTAIN IOWA COUNTY group works at the local, state and national levels on climate change and environment issues. To get involved, contact Chuck Tennessen at [email protected].
Saturday, Nov. 11, 11 a.m. (Dodgeville) – MONTHLY SUSTAIN IOWA COUNTY/CLIMATE CHANGE LOBBY meeting is at Dodgeville’s County Kitchen, 1202 Johns Street. This active local group is engaged globally with the huge climate change issues and also acts locally to make changes right here at home. For more info, contact Chuck Tennessen at [email protected]
For more info, contact Bryan Walton at [email protected]
Friday, November 3rd, 4:00 - 5:30 p.m. (Dodgeville) MONTHLY MEETING OF GRASSROOTS CITIZENS FOR PEACE & JUSTICE will be held at the home of Judy James, 3455 Rowe Road, Dodgeville (north, off of Hwy. 23) Join the Peace Group for a lively discussion on:
- What should be our emphasis amid all the violence in the world today?
- Can societal fears be addressed by studying the success of nonviolent campaigns?
- What about gun violence?
- What about the bulging military budget?
- What about the nuclear threat that hangs over us like the Sword of Damocles?
- How can we be a more visible presence in our area?
For more info contact Jane H. Kavaloski at [email protected].
OUR GRASSROOTS CITIZENS Immigration team is working to educate and achieve a better understanding of immigration issues in our area. To get involved, contact Shirley Barnes at [email protected]
BECOME A VOLUNTEER FOR THE MULTI CULTURAL OUTREACH PROGRAM (MCOP) The MultiCultural Outreach Program needs volunteers to welcome our immigrant neighbors in various ways – from teaching English as a Second Language (free training offered) to supplying much needed transportation for immigrant workers and their families who are not permitted to have drivers licenses. Here’s how you can help address the immigration issue right here at home – by welcoming those who are hard-working employees on our dairy farms, cheese factories and small businesses. Contact Nereida Burkard at 608-642-1753 or [email protected] for more information as to how you can help.
BECOME AN ENGLISH-LANGUAGE VOLUNTEER TUTOR
You can help counteract today’s ugly rhetoric about immigration by becoming an English as a Second Language (ESL) volunteer tutor in Iowa, Lafayette, Grant or Richland Counties. You do not need a foreign language to become an ESL tutor. Tutor training will teach you to overcome a language barrier while you are making new friends. Our local Southwest Wisconsin economy depends on new immigrant workers. They enrich our communities with cultural diversity. Contact Luz Nereida Burkard of the MultiCultural Oureach Program at 608-642-1753 for more information about the next tutor training sessions. Check out our website at www.mcopwi.org for other ways you can help.
Nov. 1 until Dec. 15 -- LOCAL HELP IS AVAILABLE TO SIGN UP FOR OBAMACARE. Misinformation and fear about the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) abound. The fact is anyone is guaranteed 2018 coverage if they sign up for or renew ACA coverage from now until Dec. 15. The big problem is that reports of rising premiums totally ignore the fact that ACA subsidies are rising as well. As a result, ACA coverage is still the best alternative for many families.
Local insurance agents with ACA experience can help sift through the alternatives – at no cost to the policy holder. Pat Weier and Jeff Walker of the Walker and Weier Insurance agency in Mineral Point have helped Grassroots volunteers assist with ACA sign ups for the last 3 or 4 years. They know the ACA positives and the pitfalls. Contact your insurance agents or call Pat or Jeff t at 608-987-3255. Their office is at 2500 Business Park Road, Mineral Point. An appointment is necessary. Their service is FREE TO YOU. In other words, buying ACA insurance through an insurance agent will cost you exactly the same as struggling to find the best plan online. Much has changed this year. For more info, contact our Grassroots Health Care Task Force at [email protected]
ARE YOU HOOKED ON 5 CALLS YET? Political news can be disheartening but we have to keep up the pressure in Washington and Madison. Here’s the easiest way to be effective. Click on https://5calls.org/ . Once you’ve added your zip code, you’ll get complete instructions on exactly who to call, the important facts about the most pressing issues for the coming week and what you can do about them. Give it a try now. You may not think one call makes a difference – particularly if you only get a voice mail – but hundreds of thousands of calls do – SO BE ONE OF THEM. Pass this tip on to your friends.
THE NEW GREEN COUNTY INDIVISIBLE GROUP is making plans to co-host a bipartisan Listening Session where all national and state representatives from the area will be invited to share the microphone with their constituents. The event is scheduled for late August (during a Congressional recess.) If you are interested in being a part of the planning group, contact Bob Nelson at [email protected]
Other Community Events
INTERESTED IN MAKING DODGEVILLE MORE BIKE FRIENDLY? Dave Oesper says “I think the first step is for those of us who are interested to meet and discuss. I'd be happy to take the lead but would appreciate having others to work with who share a passion for this important health and safety issue. “ Contact Dave at [email protected] or 608- 930-2120
Tues., October 17th, 7 p.m. (Dodgeville) IOWA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS MEETS in regular session at the Health and Human Services Building, 303 W. Chapel Street. When it becomes available, the agenda will be posted at http://www.iowacounty.org/countyboard/committees/countyboard.shtml
Have an interesting article to share? Start or join an existing conversation on our Facebook page
GRASSROOTS IS NOW ON FACEBOOK – BECOME A FAN! Join today’s fast-moving conversation by becoming a Grassroots Citizens of Wisconsin Facebook fan. Post your comments and favorite articles. Or comment on others’ articles by clicking here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grassroots-Citizens-of-wisconsin/174246405925559?sk=wall
Archive - Past Gazettes:
- Nov 17, 2017 Important local events
- Nov 6, 2017 Local upcoming political action
- Oct 2, 2017 Local upcoming political action
- Sept 20, 2017 Urgent action alert on health care bill
- Sept. 2, 2017 Local action in Mineral Point, Dodgeville, Mt Horeb, Montfort
- August 3, 2017 Lanterns for Peace this weekend
- June 30, 2017 Events in Mineral Point, Dodgeville, Richland Center, Platteville and Spring Green
- June 12, 2017 Short list for political action
- June 4, 2017 Mineral Point New Glarus Dodgeville local action opportunities
- May 8, 2017 Just In: Important health care meeting in Mineral Point
- May 7, 2017 Action events from Reedsburg to Mineral Point to New Glarus
- April 29 2017 Action in Platteville,Darlington,Mineral Point,Dodgeville,New Glarus and Spring Greeen
- April 24, 2017 Big Huddle tonight in Mineral Point
- April 18, 2017 This week's local action opportunities
- April 10, 2017 Big Huddle in Mineral Point and other local action events
- April 3, 2017 Vote tomorrow (Tues) and other local political action
- Mar 27 2017 Local political action opportunities
- Mar 21, 2017 Get involved in Mineral Point Spring Green Dodgeville Richland Center Mazomanie and Mt Horeb
- March 3,2017 Keep the pressure up in Mineral Point Spring Green Ridgeway Dodgeville and Platteville
- Feb. 27, 2017 Report on political action in Spring Green, Highland, Mazomanie and Dodgeville
- Feb 21, 2017 When are YOU voting today?
- Feb. 14, 2017 Local action opportunities
- Feb 2, 2017 Barneveld, Dodgeville and Spring Green events
- Jan 13, 2017 Women's March in Madison, Jan. 21st
- Sept. 15, 2016 Jeff Wright Todd Novak Forum in Blanchardville on Sept. 21st
- August 4, 2016 Vital primary vote on Tuesday!
- July 9, 2016 A smorgasbord of local happenings
- March 27, 2016 Local primary election news and more
- March 5, 2016 Muslim series continues; Feingold in Dodgeville
- Feb 7, 2016 Vote Tuesday; Our Muslim Neighbors Series in Dodgeville
- January 25, 2016 Meet the Iowa County Judge Candidates Wed. Jan 27th
- December 16, 2015 Happy Holidays from Grassroots
- November 2, 2015 Local events in Dodgeville and Spring Green
- September 26, 2015 Marklein Novak listening session and more local news
- August 24, 2015 Events in Dodgeville, Platteville and Darlington
- July 23, 2015 A Sad Announcement
- July 13, 2015 Lanterns for Peace Aug 2 and David Axelrod Aug 6
- June 11, 2014 Your voice needed tomorrow in Dodgeville at 1:30PM
- May 29, 2015 The Future of Our Public Schools event June 2
- May 14, 2015 Future of our Public Schools forum in Mineral Point and other events
- April 22, 2015 Spring Green, Dodgeville, Richland Center events
- April 11, 2015 Free Clinic auction next Saturday in Barneveld
- Mar 25, 2015 Crucial Spring elections on April 7th
- Mar 13, 2015 Upcoming events in Reedsburg, Dodgeville, Mazomanie and Barneveld
- Feb 10, 2015 Dodgeville, Highland and Reedsburg events
- Jan 26, 2015 Local Grassroots events for February
- Oct 20, 2014 More local election news
- Oct 5, 2014 Latest local election news
- Aug 6, 2014 Vote in primary election Tuesday
- July 30, 2014 Lanterns for Peace on Sunday at Gov Dodge
- June 17, 2014 Help our delegation fight global warming
- June 3, 2014 Interesting Dodgeville forum coming up
- April 7, 2014 Dodgeville, Spring Green, Lancaster, Barneveld events
- April 1, 2014 Spring General Election is Tuesday April 1, 2014
- March 17 2014 Health Care Enrollment Ending, Vote on April 1st
- Feb. 24, 2014 Free climate change movie Wed in Dodgeville
- Feb 7, 2014 Bikers, Runners and Others Vital Iowa County Board Meeting Feb. 18th
- Jan 6, 2014 Warm up your winter in Dodgeville, Mineral Point, Sauk Prairie
- Dec 16, 2013 Happy Holidays from Grassroots
- Oct 31, 2013 Dodgeville and Mineral Point events and more
- Oct 22, 2013 Dodgeville, Mineral Point and Spring Green happenings
- Oct 15, 2013 ACA Marketplace Info Sessions
- Sep 12, 2013 Our Local Grassroots Agenda 2013-14
- Aug 27, 2013 Free movie night Oct 4th at Mineral Point Opera House
- Aug 1, 2013 Local Environmental Activities
- Jul 22, 2013 Lanterns for Peace Sunday Aug 4th at Gov Dodge
- Jul 15, 2013 Important Medicaid resolution before Iowa County Board tomorrow
- Jun 29, 2013 In Dodgeville, ObamaCare Explained
- Jun 23, 2013 Local Action: NY Chef and Immigration Reform
- Jun 13, 2013 Escape Fire Showing and Other Local Events
- May 10, 2013 What's happening in our area
- Apr 26, 2013 Upcoming Local Events
- Apr 22, 2013 Need Your Signature - Health Care Petition
- Apr 19, 2013 In Dodgeville, Marklein & Schultz on Voucher Schools
- Apr 6, 2013 Walker budget hearing in Wisconsin Dells
- Mar 29, 2013 April 2 Election Info
- Mar 18, 2013 Election April 2nd and Other Upcoming Events
- Feb 22, 2013 Events in Dodgeville, Spring Green, Darlington and Belmont
- Feb 7, 2013 Events in Mazomanie, Spring Green, Dodgeville, Mineral Point and Plain
- Jan 27, 2013 Legislator Contact Info and Local Events
- Jan 7, 2013 WI Supreme Court primary and other local events
- Dec 11, 2012 Happy Holidays from Grassroots Citizens
- Nov 17, 2012 Post-election happenings in Spring Green, Mineral Point and Dodgeville
- Nov 1, 2012 Driftless Film Festival Schedule
- Oct 29, 2012 Mo Grimm and Howard Marklein to face off in Dodgeville tomorrow
- Oct 21, 2012 Spring Green and Dodgeville Candidate Forums
- Oct 12, 2012 Mahlon Mitchell speaks in Mineral Point
- Sep 27, 2012 Info about Debate Times and Other Hot Local News
- Sep 18, 2012 War on Women this Sunday
- Sep 6, 2012 Fall events in Spring Green, Dodgeville and Mineral Point
- Aug 18, 2012 News about Spring Green, Dodgeville, Mineral Point and Barneveld
- Aug 13, 2012 Tomorrow is primary election - have you done your homework?
- Aug 5, 2012 Local Info about the Aug 14 Election
- Aug 2, 2012 Lanterns for Peace Sunday at Gov Dodge
- July 5, 2012 Events in Spring Green, Dodgeville, Mineral Point and Monroe
- June 24, 2012 Two events in Spring Green and Mineral Point
- June 7, 2012 Meet Tammy Baldwin in Dodgeville
- May 30, 2012 Final Barrett-Walker debate Thursday at 9PM
- May 23, 2012 Barrett-Walker TV debate this Friday
- May 14, 2012 Spring Green Dodgeville and Mineral Point news
- April 27, 2012 Local Recall Election Info
- April 16, 2012 Candidate forums this week in Dodgeville and Darlington
- Apr 11, 2012 CANCELLED This weekend's Iowa County Energy Fair
- Mar 23, 2012 Energy Fair Sat April 14 in Dodgeville
- Mar 9, 2012 News about local Spring Elections
- Feb 26, 2012 Upcoming events in Mineral Point, Dodgeville and Barneveld
- Feb 16, 2012 Dodgeville Primary School Board Elections and more
- Feb 8, 2012 Reminder Love Letters is Friday
- Jan 31, 2012 Events in Spring Green, Dodgeville, Mineral Point and Mazomanie
- Jan 27, 2012 A Valentine gift from Grassroots Feb 10
- Jan 18, 2012 Film and theater events in Dodgeville, Mineral Point and Richland Center
- Jan 8, 2012 Mineral Point, Dodgeville, Spring Green and Richland Center events
- Dec 9, 2011 Local Messiah concerts this weekend
- Nov 30, 2011 Running for local office -- Find out how
- Nov 11, 2011 Final reminder: People and Pie on Sunday
- Oct 18, 2011 The Feingold event was a big success!
- Oct 12, 2011 Grassroots Survey Request
- Oct 7, 2011 Upcoming events in Dodgeville and Mineral Point
- Sep 12, 2011 Feingold coming to Mineral Point Oct 15 - hope to see you
- Aug 30, 2011 Two news updates in Dodgeville
- Aug 26, 2011 Iowa County Board calls worked -- thanks
- Aug 15, 2011 Call you Iowa County Board Member today
- Jul 29, 2011 Local political happenings and more
- Jul 22, 2011 Lanterns for Peace and other upcoming events
- Jun 23, 2011 Arizona-style immigration bill comes to Wisconsin
- Jun 14, 2011 Events in Dodgeville and Spring Green
- May 16, 2011 51st Assembly District challengers already stepping forward
- May 2, 2011 Location Change: Marklein Listening Session
- April 28, 2011 Volunteers needed for recount
- April 19, 2011 Dodgeville Marklein listening session Thursday
- April 11, 2011 Steve Hilgenberg - In appreciation
- April 8, 2011 Busy local weekend
- Mar 26, 2011 Important local events and do not forget to VOTE!
- Mar 22, 2011 Important community hearing tonight in Dodgeville
- Mar 17, 2011 Fast moving events in Dodgeville, Spring Green and Mineral Point
- Mar 14, 2011 Spring Green and Dodgeville budget town hall meetings
- Mar 11, 2011 Saturday rallies all day in Madison
- Mar 2, 2011 Dealing with the Budget Bill in Iowa County
- Feb 25, 2011 Budget Bill events in Dodgeville and Madison
- Feb 17, 2011 Free AFGHAN STAR showing at Mineral Point Opera House
- Feb 10, 2011 Vote on Tuesday and Other Events
- Feb 3, 2011 Upcoming events in Mazomanie, Dodgeville, Ridgeway and Cobb
- Jan 24, 2011 'The Kite Runner' and more
- Jan 11, 2011 Events in Dodgeville, Spring Green and Mineral Point
- Dec 29, 2010 Events for the New Year
- Dec 7, 2010 Grassroots has plenty of cures for the winter blahs
- Nov 15, 2010 Stones into Schools and ESL
- Nov 1, 2010 Vote tomorrow -- your democracy depends on it
- Oct 26, 2010 Last local candidates debates tonight
- Oct 15, 2010 The latest news from Grassroots
- Oct 6, 2010 Candidate debates in Spring Green, Dodgeville and Platteville
- Sep 26, 2010 What's with Kids Today and Candidate Forums plus more
- Sep 2, 2010 Grassroots wins Wisconsin Humanities Grant
- August 16, 2010 Primary Elections Coming Sept 14
- August 4, 2010 Grassroots to Co-Sponsor "Los Vientos de Marzo"
- July 22, 2010 Lanterns for Peace PLUS Immigration Reform Group now forming
- July 6, 2010 Grassroots Plays Major Role in Iowa County Grant
- June 24, 2010 Wisconsin Innovation Kitchen (WiNK) Opening Mineral Point
- June 17, 2010 Mary Louise Symon Award Winners
- June 9, 2010 Upcoming Events in Baraboo, Custer, Dodgeville, Darlington and Mineral Point
- May 27, 2010 For Anyone Who Care About Wisconsin's Energy Future
- May 9, 2010 Special Iowa County Board Meeting Wednesday
- Apr 24, 2010 Upcoming Events
- Apr 15, 2010 Checkout Our New Website
- Apr 8, 2010 Upcoming Events in Spring Green, Dodgeville, Belmont, Baraboo
- Mar 26, 2010 Check Out Our New Health Care Reform Blog
- Mar 11, 2010 Robert Kennedy in Platteville March 26
- Mar 7, 2010 Tom Barrett in Dodgeville
- Mar 2, 2010 Great Decisions Material Available
- Feb 28, 2010 Dodgeville Film Festival March 11 to14
- Feb 4, 2010 Upcoming events in Dodgeville, Mazomanie and Reedsburg
- Jan 11, 2010 Mark your calendar for coming events
- Jan 2, 2010 Upcoming Events for 2010
THE GRASSROOTS GAZETTE (produced by the Grassroots Citizens of Wisconsin) is the email communications tool that links emerging political action groups throughout Southwest Wisconsin – including Action Iowa County, SWWAP of Mt. Horeb, River Valley DAWN group, Richland County DAWN group, Green County Indivisible, Sustain Iowa County and Iowa County Citizens for Peace & Justice. Other groups interested in joining can contact [email protected].
To remove your name from our e-mail list, please click on "Reply" and write "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.